Legend dates back to the churning of Vaikuntam's (Lord Vishnu's abode) Milky ocean. Milky ocean was churned by making Vasuki Serpent as Churning rope and Mount meru as Churning stick by Devas and Asuras. As churing in progress Mount Meru started sinking into the ocean, Lord Vishnu assumed Kurma Avathar (Kachapa) and bore the weight of Meru. It is said that, Lord Vishnu in Kurma (Tortoise) avathar installed Lord Siva here and prayed during this process.
This temple was built by Pallava kings in 7th century CE, later renovated by Vijayanagara Kings.
How to reach Karchapeswarar Temple Kanchipuram?
- Temple is 4 km from Kanchipuram bus station and 5 km from Kanchipuram Railway station
Temples near to Karchapeswarar Temple ?
- Ekambareswarar Temple is 5 km away
- Kailasanthar temple is 5.2 km away
- Kanchi Kamakshi Amman Temple is 4.3 km away
- Sri Varadaraja perumal temple is 4 km away